Distress paint and clingfilm technique – quick easy card


I’ve been meaning to try out this technique for a while now, and today was the perfect time to finally give it a go!

you will need-

white cardstock (I used daler rowney heavyweight watercolour paper)

distress paint in one or more colours- shown here is mermaid lagoon.

cling film

some cardboard or hard surface to tape your cardstock to

I also used a sentiment stamp(inked with versamark black ink) , a  clear wink of stella brush marker , teal cardstock and sequins to finish this card off.

once you have your cardstock taped down to your chosen (moveable) surface, tear off a generous sheet of cling film (Saran Wrap if you are an american crafter). I made sure mine had some wrinkles in it to add to the texture.

put a line of distress paint in your chosen colour or colours onto the cling film, and spritz with a little water.

place your cardstock on its board down into the paint, taking into consideration it’s placement on the card , wrap the clingfilm around the edges of your board and flip back over.

Then the fun bit! you can now take your finger and move the paint around until it covers the area you wish it to. I tried not to play with mine too much, as I liked the organic feel of the edges where the paint had been pushed out.

once you are happy, remove your film, and leave to dry, or give it a quick blast with your heat tool.

I then dabbed a little more paint onto the clingfilm, and added a little more water to make it loose enough to flick onto the card using a paintbrush. I used these little dots to add a bit more interest, coming out from the edges, and also added a few on top of the main painted area to add a little more texture. dry again.

if your card has warped, once it is dry you can cover with a sheet of paper, and iron it. high heat, without the steam function on. this flattens cardstock back out beautifully.

I then used my stamp press to position a ‘Hello’ Stamp in the middle of the painted area, and inked with versamark ink before allowing it to dry. once I was satisfied it was fully dry, I then went over it with my wink of stella glitter marker to make the sentiment sparkle.

I finished the card front off using three sequins, in a triangular pattern, and matted onto cardstock, before attatching to my 6 inch square card base.

The whole process took less than half an hour, start to finish, and resulted in a pretty looking and unique card- you won’t ever get the same result twice, and I think that is a beautiful thing!

I hope this inspires you to play with paint on your cards- it’s not just for the more traditional mixed media projects!

on that note, I’d better go and put the cling film back, before my husband realises I’ve pinched yet another household item to craft with!


About rachel Gillham

I'm a twenty something mad cat lady, with a rescue cat and a passion for all things crafting... You can often find me tinkering with one or other of my machines, making cards, vinyl decals for items, or doodling quietly.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of